Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hello, my name is Jessica

You can call me Jessk.

Jessica is a very common name. In fact, it was the most common female name in the eighties in the United States, the decade and country from which I hearken (quickbabynames.com).

According to babynameshub.com, "records indicate that at least 1,023,215 girls have been named Jessica since 1880 in the United States." The meaning is a bit muddled, but I've heard many times that it means "wealthy" (babynamescountry.com) and may come directly from Shakespeare, who coined the name for the Jewish merchant's daughter in The Merchant of Venice (thinkbabynames.com). There are also intimations of God in my name, a theme that seems to apply to nearly every name out there; its basis is in the Hebrew language.

An ordinary name for an ordinary girl. In some ways this makes me a modern everyman. Being a twenty-something female named Jessica is almost like saying my name is Jane Doe. I've always felt it suited me.

But I need differentiation. Thus Jessk. I could explain how I created this moniker, but it is neither interesting nor important. What matters here is that you may call me Jessk. That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment